Re: Patch: linux-2.5.41/drivers/ide - build IDE as a module

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 09:18:36 EST

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 14:44, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> 1. For the time being, I have reassembled some of the
> drivers/ide object files into ide-mod.o again, because there are some
> circular references (not necessarily a bad thing) that modprobe cannot
> otherwise handle. For now, this includes putting ide-probe in
> ide-mod.

I don't think that is actually avoidable. We end up with a lump that I'd
probably call "ide-core" which is fine.

> 2. I have changed cmd640.o and legacy.o from dep_bool to
> dep_tristate and made them also depend on $CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE, so
> that they will only be offered as modules if ide-mod.o is a
> module (since, like any IDE driver, they require some symbols in
> ide-mod.o).

Sounds right

> These changes are probably not perfect, but I think they
> should be an improvement with no real disadvantages in comparison to
> what they replace, so I would encourage you to integrate the changes
> if you see no problem. Please let me know what you want to do, or if
> there is something more you'd like me to do regarding this patch.

I'll go over it again, but I have no major problem with applying them
and working from there to clean up the corners. Firstly however do one
little thing - dont put extern blah() in the code, add them to the right
header files.