Re: two problems using EXT3 htrees

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 18:34:49 EST

On Thursday 10 October 2002 19:03, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2002 15:08 +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 October 2002 20:29, Andrew_Purtell@NAI.com wrote:
> > > I recently patched my 2.4.19 kernel with EXT3 dir_index support and tried
> > > it out on my 80GB EXT3 data partition...
> >
> > Could you please provide a pointer to the patch you used?
>
> A number of people have been getting this same bug under high load. I
> believe they are using the patches from Ted, and/or BK extfs.bkbits.net.

OK, I've read through the patch and the original thread re this problem.
There are a few obvious things to try:

  - Does the problem come up when there is only one rsync running
    concurrently? (If so, we have a SMP race.)

  - Is the behaviour the same before and after Ted's cleanups? (Get
    the old version out of cvs...)

  - Does the problem manifest with Ext2? (Somebody - me probably -
    has to dust off the Ext2 patch and add the new hash.)

--
Daniel