Re: Linux v2.5.42

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@infradead.org)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 08:43:22 EST

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 09:59:58PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Augh.. People have been mailbombing me apparently because a lot of people
> finally decided that they really want to sync with me due to the upcoming
> feature freeze, so there's a _lot_ of stuff here, all over the map.

BTW, there's another infrastructure feature I forgot when you asked
what should go in before feature freeze. And IMHO it's very important
(so why did I forget it..): IBM's read copy update synchronisation
primitives. They've shown significant improvements when used for the
file tables, dcache and routing cache, it has been around since before
2.5 forked, SuSE has it in their production kernel for a while, too and
akpm has it in his tree for while.

Even if those existing users don't get in yet I don't want to miss the
infrastructure in the 2.6 series.