Re: Linux v2.5.42

From: Dipankar Sarma (dipankar@in.ibm.com)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 12:10:00 EST

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 01:46:17PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> BTW, there's another infrastructure feature I forgot when you asked
> what should go in before feature freeze. And IMHO it's very important
> (so why did I forget it..): IBM's read copy update synchronisation
> primitives. They've shown significant improvements when used for the
> file tables, dcache and routing cache, it has been around since before
> 2.5 forked, SuSE has it in their production kernel for a while, too and
> akpm has it in his tree for while.

Yes, rcu core and dcache_rcu has been in -mm since 2.5.37-mm1 and we
haven't seen any problems with it so far. This patch combination
has no regression in lower end of systems and gives us better performance in
webserver and multiuser type of workloads at the higher end of systems.

> Even if those existing users don't get in yet I don't want to miss the
> infrastructure in the 2.6 series.

Andrew, will you be inclined to send this to Linus or should I send them
myself ?

Thanks

--
Dipankar Sarma  <dipankar@in.ibm.com> http://lse.sourceforge.net
Linux Technology Center, IBM Software Lab, Bangalore, India.