Re: Known 'issues' about 2.4.19...

From: Peter (cogwepeter@cogweb.net)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 10:23:08 EST

Hi Paul,

You might want to try 2.4.19-ac4, the latest -ac revision to the stable
kernel. I've run this for a couple of months now with one single incident
-- on playing a lot of divx files with mplayer, the machine ran out of
memory and started swapping feverishly. The system froze for a minute and
then let up. Some mm issue. I'm running a DVD player and burner, a 160GB
drive on a x69 Promise card and mount external drives through NFS and
Samba, on ext3, Intel chipsets, firewire stuff -- as stable as 2.4.16 with
more features. I've been working with 20GB files with no problems. I
should say this is not my web and file server; that is still running
2.4.16, as it doesn't need the new features.

The most recent -ac kernels are likely fine too, but there appear to be
some residual ide and ide-scsi issues (could be minor) and Andre is off
fishing.

Cheers,
Peter