Re: PATCH: AFS system call registration function (was Re: Two fixes for 2.4.19-pre5-ac3)

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 13:34:03 EST

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> Incidentally, nothing in the kernel source tree provides an example
> "explanation of the usage of nfsservctl"; I'll be happy to work out the
> new interface and provide appropriate information, but is there some place
> in particular such things end up being documented? I'm not averse to
> submitting information to go in /Documentation but it doesn't appear
> there's precedent for that.

Notice that in 2.5 (and that's backportable to 2.4 - I'll do that after
Oct 31) nfsservctl() is a trivial wrapper around open/write/read/close.
IOW, mountd and friends could stop using that syscall - all functionality
is available for userland without it.

See fs/nfsctl.c and fs/nfsd/nfsctl.c for example of doing that.

What things are done by afs_syscall()? If you are passing some requests
to the afs driver - just tell what these requests are, writing that
stuff is a matter of an hour...