Re: [RFC] Rename _bh to _softirq

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 14:21:23 EST

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Maksim (Max) Krasnyanskiy wrote:

> Old BHs have been almost completely replaced with tasklets and softirqs.
> Should we then rename _bh to _softirq ?
> i.e
> local_bh_disable() -> local_softirq_disable()
> spin_lock_bh() -> spin_lock_softirq()
> bh_lock_sock() -> softirq_sock_lock()
> etc

i wanted to do this as part of the irqlock cleanups, but generally we dont
change existing interfaces unless it's really universally agreed upon. Eg.
we had cli() around for a *long* time although it's an x86 (-mostly)
instruction name. But yes, i agree, and there are a number of other
renames that would make perfect sense.

        Ingo