Re:Benchmark results from resp1 trivial response time test

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 20:31:08 EST

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:

> Hi Bill,
> I'm back with the results of others tests, here all my results:

Thanks, I'll cip them in the response, but this test sure does make some
kernels unhappy, doesn't it? And the sad truth is that this isn't
artifact, if you get a similar "real load" on the machine the response
will be really unusable in real life.

> I post the script I use to get this summary as well,
> do you think it is usefull ?

Sure, it's very like the one I used to generate the results on the web
site, other than I used "version=${filename%.out}" to avoid a cut or sed
process, and I put my redirect after the "done" as "done >>summary.txt" so
I didn't have to put it on every line. Matter of style, and I'm really
lazy about typing anything I don't need to ;-)

> #!/bin/bash
> out=(`ls *.out|sort`)
> total=`echo ${out[@]}|wc -w`
> # echo $total
> > summary.txt
> for i in `seq 0 1 $[total-1]`
> do
> kernel_version=`echo ${out[i]}|cut -d "." --fields=1-3`
> echo -e "\t\tKernel version: $kernel_version" >> summary.txt
> grep '^ ' ${out[i]} >> summary.txt
> echo >> summary.txt
> done;

I'm going to replace S.D. with the ratio of the median values in the near
future, I find that more useful, since one really bad response can skew
the ratio of average. Of course the other values are there to avoid
confusion, but t makes a nicer number for the "look at one value" folks.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc