Re: [Kernel 2.5] Qlogic 2x00 driver

From: Michael Clark (michael@metaparadigm.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 01:03:04 EST

On 10/16/02 12:43, GrandMasterLee wrote:
> My Dell 6650 has been doing this exact behaviour since we got on 5.38.9
> and up, using LVM in a production capacity. Both servers we have, have
> crashed mysteriously, without any kernel dump, etc, but all hardware
> diags come out clean.

I tell you my honest hunch - remove LVM and try again. This has made
my life a little more peaceful lately. Even with a 2-3 minute outages
while our cluster automatically fails over - the 100's of users whining
about their sessions being disconnected makes you a bit depressed.

> All hardware configuration bits are perfect, as can be anyway, and we
> still get this behaviour. After 5-6.5 days...the box black screens. So
> bad so, that all the XFS volumes we have, never enter a shutdown. We
> must repair them all, today this happened, and we lost one part of the
> tablespace on our beta db. We're using LVM1, on 2.4.19-aa1.

We had the black screen also until we got the machines oopsing over
serial. The oops was actually showing up in ext3 with a corrupted
bufferhead. Without LVM, i've measured my longest uptime, 17 days x
4 machines in the cluster (68 days) ie. we only did it 17 days ago.

~mc