Re: mapping 36 bit physical addresses into 32 bit virtual

From: jw schultz (jw@pegasys.ws)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 02:23:45 EST

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:54:35PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <20021015165947.50642.qmail@web13801.mail.yahoo.com>
> By author: Padraig O Mathuna <padraigo@yahoo.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > I'm developing some drivers for the AU1000 under
> > Mountain Vista's 2.4.17 sherman release. The AU1000 is
> > a MIPS based SOC with a 36 bit internal address bus
> > and a 32 bit MIPS cpu. According to the documentation
> > the MIPS' TLB is able to map 32 bit virtual addresses
> > to 36 bit physical addresses, however I cannot figure
> > out how to get Linux to set this up. I've looked at
> > ioremap which only takes unsigned long (32bits) as an
> > argument to assign a virtual address. Is there
> > another way?
> >

> Oh no, the x86 madness is spreading!!!!
>
> (It's depressing this happening on a MIPS system, which has been 64
> bits since who-knows-when...)
>
> *Vomit*
>
> -hpa

Can't say exactly when but my MIPS RISC Architecture manual
for the R2000/R3000 shows it to be a _strictly_ 32 bit
architecture in 1988 and i distinctly remember the working
with the newest R400x in 1993 which was still 32bit. I
know MIPS went to 64bit sometime not too long after that
(mid 90's?) but by then Alpha and Sparc had beaten them to
the punch.

	email address:		jw@pegasys.ws