Re: mapping 36 bit physical addresses into 32 bit virtual

From: Miles Bader (miles@lsi.nec.co.jp)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 03:20:15 EST

jw schultz <jw@pegasys.ws> writes:
> i distinctly remember the working with the newest R400x in 1993 which
> was still 32bit. I know MIPS went to 64bit sometime not too long
> after that (mid 90's?) but by then Alpha and Sparc had beaten them to
> the punch.

You're wrong -- the R4000 was absolutely 64-bit, and was released in
1991. The 64-bit sparc was circa '93, and alpha I dunno, but I think
'91-'92.

[note that I'm talking about chips, not software; I believe it was quite
a while before the OS stuff caught up with the 64-bit mips processors]

-Miles

--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.