Re: Kernel reports 4 CPUS instead of 2...

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 12:35:09 EST

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Mark Cuss wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I'm working with a new Dell Poweredge 4600 Server with Dual CPUs. However,
> Linux reports that it sees 4 CPUs... I have opened the thing to see if Dell
> gave me 2 extras for free, but no luck: Attached is /proc/cpuinfo.
>
> I've tried the RedHat 8.0 stock kernel, as well as a freshly compiled 2.4.19
> but both exhibit the same behavior.
>
> The specifics on the machine:
>
> Dual Xeon 2.2 GHz CPUs (512 k L2 cache)
> 2 Gigs DDR RAM
> The chipset is a ServerWorks CMIC-HE (see attached lspci for complete
> listing).
>
> Has anyone else seen this behavior? The only other SMP machine I have is an
> older Dell server with Dual 1 GHz coppermines, and it reports 2 CPUs...
>
> Any information or advice is greatly appreciated...
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Mark

This has become a FAQ. The processors are capable of so-called
"hyperthreading". They have two execution units, therefore seem
like two CPUs.

This is the correct behavior. If you don't like this, you can
swap motherboards with me ;) Otherwise, grin and bear it!

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
The US military has given us many words, FUBAR, SNAFU, now ENRON.
Yes, top management were graduates of West Point and Annapolis.