Re: Kernel reports 4 CPUS instead of 2...

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 15:10:27 EST

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Mark Cuss wrote:

> Speaking of performance.... :)
>
> Has anyone done any testing on a dual CPU configuration like this? I've
> been testing this box with both the RedHat 8 Stock Kernel (2.4.18.something)
> and 2.4.19 from kernel.org. Currently, I can't make the thing perform
> anywhere near as fast as my Dual PIII 1 Ghz box (running 2.4.7 for the last
> 325 days...) . I've been compiling the same block of code on both the
> machines and comparing the times. The PIII box is around 7 s, while the new
> Xeon Box is 13 or 14s...
>
> My thinking was that since the CPUs are much faster, and the FSB is faster,
> and the disk controller is faster, that the computer would be faster.
>
> The hardware is obviously faster, I'm sure its just something I've done
> wrong in the kernel configuration... If anyone has any advice or words of
> wisdom, I'd really appreciate them...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mark

Try using the exact same disk drive(s) with both mother-boards if
you are looking at compile-times for comparison. Use the same drive(s)
when testing both motherboards.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
The US military has given us many words, FUBAR, SNAFU, now ENRON.
Yes, top management were graduates of West Point and Annapolis.