Re: Kernel reports 4 CPUS instead of 2...

From: Samuel Flory (sflory@rackable.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 15:47:32 EST

Mark Cuss wrote:

>Speaking of performance.... :)
>
>Has anyone done any testing on a dual CPU configuration like this? I've
>been testing this box with both the RedHat 8 Stock Kernel (2.4.18.something)
>and 2.4.19 from kernel.org. Currently, I can't make the thing perform
>anywhere near as fast as my Dual PIII 1 Ghz box (running 2.4.7 for the last
>325 days...) . I've been compiling the same block of code on both the
>machines and comparing the times. The PIII box is around 7 s, while the new
>Xeon Box is 13 or 14s...
>
>My thinking was that since the CPUs are much faster, and the FSB is faster,
>and the disk controller is faster, that the computer would be faster.
>
>The hardware is obviously faster, I'm sure its just something I've done
>wrong in the kernel configuration... If anyone has any advice or words of
>wisdom, I'd really appreciate them...

   Try shutting off hyperthreading in the bios. Keep in mind
hyperthreading is net loss if you are running a single nonthreaded app.
 Also you might want to check if there aren't io speed issues.

  A good way to see the effects positive effects of hyperthreading is a
kernel compile. A "make -j 4 bzImage" should be much much faster on the
Xeon system with hyperthreading than a P3.