Re: statfs64 missing

From: Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 19:01:11 EST

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 01:49:27AM +0200, Peter Chubb wrote:
> 2. Change the in-kernel definition of struct statfs to use 64-bit
> types, (if CONFIG_LBD) and convert at syscall time depending on
> whether statfs or statfs64 is called (or even, allow glibc to
> do it, but that's an externally-visible interface change)
>
> Which is cleaner? Personally I dislike multiplying interfaces for no
> good reason, so I lean to (2) --- keep the in-kernel paths 64-bit
> clean.

I prefer (2) too.

Regarding the new fields Trond proposed: there is the issue of 64bit
architectures. They already use 64bit block counts, so in theory they
don't need a statfs64(). But if we wanted to add new fields patterned
after Solaris 64bit would need the new system call too.

So it boils down to if the new fields are important enough to justify
the pain they cause on 64bit.

(I ran into a similar issue with my nanosecond stat patchkit -
alpha stat is 64bit clean, but doesn't have the padding for ns fields
added used in later ports)

-Andi