Re: [uml-devel] Re: swap_dup/swap_free errors with 2.4.20-pre10

From: David Coulson (david@davidcoulson.net)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 05:20:26 EST

Jeff Dike wrote:
> I've seen this bug multiple times. Basically, something is holding a
> mm_sem and not letting go. Anything that walks the process list hangs.
> Ultimately, this hangs anything that's remotely useful, and you have to
> crash the box.

Indeed. I experienced the problem every 24-36hrs around five times in a
row last week. Pretty much every morning, I'd come in and the box was
completly dead. It seems to be okay at the moment, but I'm not holding
my breath.

> One factoid that I forgot to mention there is that when it happens on my
> laptop, the disk activity light is stuck on.

My box doesn't have a light, but what I got from SNMP before the box
died suggested that the system (e.g. the 'system' CPU usage MIB) was
using a considerable amount of CPU time (>95%), so I'm not sure if it
was swapping madly, or if something else was going on.

David

--
David Coulson                                  http://davidcoulson.net/
d@vidcoulson.com                       http://journal.davidcoulson.net/