Re: Posix capabilities

From: Stefan Schwandter (swan@shockfrosted.org)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 07:05:26 EST

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> > I saw capabilities and acl patches for ext2/3 enter -mm. Is it possible
> > now to give an executable (that lives on an ext2/ext3 fs) the necessary
> > rights to use SCHED_FIFO without being setuid root? Could someone give
> > me some pointers for these topics (capabilities support in linux, acl)?

> The patchs which I've been working on do not support capabilities;
> just extended attributes.

Ah, ok... I thought that things work like this: the capabilities support
already is in the kernel, and to give an app a particular capability,
one has to add a particalar extended attribute to the application
executable. So I'm wrong here it seems?

regards, Stefan

--
----> http://www.shockfrosted.org