Re: [ANNOUCE] fbdev changes finished.

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 12:27:56 EST

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 09:38:37AM -0700, James Simmons wrote:
> I like to annouce that I just finished the final fbdev changes. They are
> in the BK repository bk://fbdev.bkbits.net/fbdev-2.5. The changes are
>
> 1) Removal of all console related code in the lower level drivers. Smaller
> easier to program drivers.
>
> 2) Now you can use the framebuffer driver WITHOUT framebuffer console.
> Last night I built a kernel with MDA console and used the VESA
> framebuffer by itself. Now you can easily debug new framebuffer
> drivers. The real bonus is for embedded systems you have much smaller
> kernels.
>
> 3) I moved the agp and drm code into drivers/video. I did NOT place any
> drm code with framebuffer code at people's request. I simiple moved the
> directory from one spot to another. The main reason I did this was
> because some framebuffer drivers will need to use the agp code initialized
> before the framebuffer layer. The DRM code was moved because it makes
> sense to move it there.
>
> 4) I cleaned up the config.in for all the video stuff across all
> platforms.
>
> You can grab the lastest BK tree at
>
> bk://fbdev.bkbits.net/fbdev-2.5
>
> Give it a try. For people who want a diff it is avaiable at
>
> http://phoenix.infradead.org/~jsimmons/fbdev.diff.gz

... which is not representative of the changes.

Can you _please_ take much more care over patches and such like and take
the time to get them correct _please_.

I really don't like patches that float around that unintentionally delete
other peoples drivers for no reason.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux