Re: TCP Segmentation Offload (TSO) in 2.4?

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 14:29:38 EST

   From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy@karlsbakk.net>
   Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:05:14 +0200

   I've got some servers doing quite a lot of network traffic, and after reading
   the article about TSO on kernel traffic
   (http://www.kerneltrap.org/node.php?id=397), I wonder ... will this be
   backported to 2.4? is it hard?

It isn't hard, but two issues:

1) You'll only get this with e1000 cards, and there were some
   performance regression noted by some testers at IBM with
   TSO enabled.

2) There are semantic issues still unresolved in the generic
   TCP implementation parts, such as how to deal with the
   fact that the way to get the most out of TSO is to
   ignore the congestion window at connection startup. We
   can only really make such a violation when talking to a
   host on the local network etc. etc.

   A 2.4.x backport is illadvisable until this is resolved.