Re: can chroot be made safe for non-root?

From: David Wagner (daw@mozart.cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 15:14:17 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
>> I am eager to be able to sandbox my processes on a system without the
>> help of suid-root programs (as I prefer to have none of these on my
>> system).
>
>You can do that using ptrace. subterfugue.sf.net.

ptrace() is ok, but it also has lots of disadvantages: performance,
expressiveness, security, assurance. I've posted before on this mailing
list, at length, about them. In short, ptrace() is not an ideal solution,
and a secure chroot() or other way to construct a jail/sandbox would
be better. (LSM will be much better.)