Re: 2.5.43 scsi _eh_ buslogic

From: Mike Anderson (andmike@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 17:43:12 EST

Andy,
        From looking at the driver it looks like the locking had been
update to 2.5, but that the driver error handling has not been updated.
scsi_obsolete.c has not existed in the 2.5 view for a while.

I have cc'd linux-scsi as someone on the list might be able to
give more information on the status of the driver.

So if you where previously getting timeouts / errors on probe in 2.4 the
older error handler might have been clearing things up and now nothing
is being called.

We should remove the older error handling interfaces as they are not
called and possibly print a warning if a driver loads with no error
handling functions set.

The older abort handler BusLogic_AbortCommand should be easy to change
by just adjusting the locking. I do not have one of these adapter, but
could look into the changes.

andy barlak [andyb@island.net] wrote:

> Buslogic is still not functional in 2.5.43.
> Info below is from successive boots on the same system.
> Two scsi HDs and one scsi cdrom.
> Removing the cdrom changes nothing.
>
> Kernel 2.4.19 has run buslogic scsi just fine:
>
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> PCI: Assigned IRQ 10 for device 00:08.0
> scsi: ***** BusLogic SCSI Driver Version 2.1.15 of 17 August 1998 *****
> scsi: Copyright 1995-1998 by Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz@dandelion.com>
> scsi0: Configuring BusLogic Model BT-958 PCI Wide Ultra SCSI Host Adapter
> scsi0: Firmware Version: 5.06J, I/O Address: 0xE800, IRQ Channel: 10/Level
> scsi0: PCI Bus: 0, Device: 8, Address: 0xED001000, Host Adapter SCSI ID: 7
> scsi0: Parity Checking: Disabled, Extended Translation: Disabled
> scsi0: Synchronous Negotiation: FFFFSFF#FFFFFFFF, Wide Negotiation: YYYYNYY#YY
> YYYYYY
> scsi0: Disconnect/Reconnect: Enabled, Tagged Queuing: Enabled
> scsi0: Scatter/Gather Limit: 128 of 8192 segments, Mailboxes: 211
> scsi0: Driver Queue Depth: 211, Host Adapter Queue Depth: 192
> scsi0: Tagged Queue Depth: Automatic, Untagged Queue Depth: 3
> scsi0: Error Recovery Strategy: Default, SCSI Bus Reset: Disabled
> scsi0: SCSI Bus Termination: High Enabled, SCAM: Disabled
> scsi0: *** BusLogic BT-958 Initialized Successfully ***
> scsi0 : BusLogic BT-958
> Vendor: CONNER Model: CFP2107E 2.14GB Rev: 1423
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Vendor: SEAGATE Model: SX423451W Rev: 9E18
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Vendor: TOSHIBA Model: CD-ROM XM-5701TA Rev: 0167
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> scsi0: Target 0: Queue Depth 28, Wide Synchronous at 20.0 MB/sec, offset 15
> scsi0: Target 1: Queue Depth 28, Wide Synchronous at 20.0 MB/sec, offset 15
> scsi0: Target 2: Queue Depth 3, Synchronous at 10.0 MB/sec, offset 8
> Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
> SCSI device sda: 4194303 512-byte hdwr sectors (2147 MB)
> sda: sda1 sda2
> SCSI device sdb: 45322644 512-byte hdwr sectors (23205 MB)
> sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3
>
> -----------------------------
>

> Kernel 2.5.43 and earlier produce this dmesg info
> (edited redundant lines):
>
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> PCI: Assigned IRQ 10 for device 00:08.0
> scsi: ***** BusLogic SCSI Driver Version 2.1.16 of 18 July 2002 *****
> scsi: Copyright 1995-1998 by Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz@dandelion.com>
> scsi0: Configuring BusLogic Model BT-958 PCI Wide Ultra SCSI Host Adapter
> scsi0: Firmware Version: 5.06J, I/O Address: 0xE800, IRQ Channel: 10/Level
> scsi0: PCI Bus: 0, Device: 8, Address: 0xED001000, Host Adapter SCSI ID: 7
> scsi0: Parity Checking: Disabled, Extended Translation: Disabled
> scsi0: Synchronous Negotiation: FFFFSFF#FFFFFFFF, Wide Negotiation: YYYYNYY#YY
> YYYYYY
> scsi0: Disconnect/Reconnect: Enabled, Tagged Queuing: Enabled
> [...]

-andmike

--
Michael Anderson
andmike@us.ibm.com