Re: Any hope of fixing shutdown power off for SMP?

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 19:52:45 EST

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, J.A. Magallon wrote:

> On 2002.10.20 Jurriaan wrote:
> >From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
> >Date: Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 03:40:22PM -0400
> >> I've beaten this dead horse before, but it still irks me that Linux can't
> >> power down an SMP system. People claim that it can't be done safely, but
> >> maybe somone can reverse engineer NT if we aren't up to the job.
> >>
> >I'm trying to find out the same. So far:
> >

> There are patches both in the -ac and -aa tree to make smp kernels shut
> down properly, even to support full APM if you have enough luck. shutdown
> works fine on my smp box...

I'm kind of out of time to play any more, I think I'm going to leave
2.5.43 where it is (lots of stuff not working), send the patches to -mm3
and think about 2.5.44. That should be less volatile since Linus is out.

I can't get apm to even load, it whines in depmod about missing stuff, and
I've got about two days of my so-called vacation in what I do hve working,
so a good time to call it a version.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll try -aa and -ac kernels again at .44.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc