Re: Any hope of fixing shutdown power off for SMP?

From: J.A. Magallon (jamagallon@able.es)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 20:03:27 EST

On 2002.10.21 Bill Davidsen wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, J.A. Magallon wrote:
>

>> On 2002.10.20 Jurriaan wrote:
>> >From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
>> >Date: Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 03:40:22PM -0400
>> >>
>> >I'm trying to find out the same. So far:
>> >

>> There are patches both in the -ac and -aa tree to make smp kernels shut
>> down properly, even to support full APM if you have enough luck. shutdown
>> works fine on my smp box...
>
>I'm kind of out of time to play any more, I think I'm going to leave
>2.5.43 where it is (lots of stuff not working), send the patches to -mm3
>and think about 2.5.44. That should be less volatile since Linus is out.
>
>I can't get apm to even load, it whines in depmod about missing stuff, and
>I've got about two days of my so-called vacation in what I do hve working,
>so a good time to call it a version.
>
>Thanks for the pointer, I'll try -aa and -ac kernels again at .44.

Oops, you talk about 2.5...
My pointers were about 2.4. Anyways, perhaps it is the same problem. Both
trees did not shutdown properly because shutdown waited inifinitely for
the apm task to schedule on cpu 0 due to bad interaction with O1
scheduler.

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@able.es>      \                 Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es                         \           It's better when it's free