rtnetlink interface state monitoring problems.

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 06:18:04 EST

I'm playing with userspace applications which want to monitor the status of
IrDA and Bluetooth devices. Rather than polling for the interface state
(this is a handheld device and polling wastes CPU and battery), I want to
use netlink.

I have two problems:

 1. I appear to need CAP_NET_ADMIN to bind to the netlink groups which give
        me this information. I can poll for it just fine, but need
        elevated privs to be notified. Why is this, and is there a workaround?

 2. Even root doesn't get notification of state changes for Bluetooth
        interfaces, because they're not treated as 'normal' network devices
        like IrDA devices are. I can see the logic behind that -- by why
        is it done differently from IrDA? Is there a way to get notification
        of BT interface state changes?

--
dwmw2