Re: Any hope of fixing shutdown power off for SMP?

From: Rob Landley (landley@trommello.org)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 14:15:03 EST

On Monday 21 October 2002 15:41, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Rob Landley wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you using the real-mode call? Perhaps I should try NOT doing that,
> > > and see if it solves the problem. That used to be the solution, but
> > > things change.
> >
> > None of my systems will power down on UP if I enable the "local apic
> > support on uniprocessors" option.
> >
> > Something about the APIC code prevents the power down from occuring. The
> > symptoms are as you describe: the drives spin down, and the power goes
> > off immediately if you press the button (instead of having to hold it
> > down), but the power doesn't go off by itself.
> >
> > Works fine if I compile without local APIC support.
>
> Hum, and you can quote me on that. I don't have that particular problem at
> all, my problem is only with SMP.

SMP machines have the APIC enabled by default. Hence the problem sounds like
it's (at least being triggered by) the APIC code.

> Anyway, my kernels are SMP, and if I boot "nosmp" they work fine with
> every APIC in sight enabled. This may or may not be the same problem, you
> could build an SMP kernel and boot it "nosmp" with APIC on and see what
> that does (if you're curious).

Dunno. The boxen I currently manage are UP (cheaper that way), so I don't
actually need the APIC, so I switched it off and life went on. Alan Cox
seems to be of the opinion that bios bugs are involved, which should come as
no surprise. :)

Rob