Re: Son of crunch time: the list v1.2.

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 21:02:33 EST

Rob Landley wrote:
> 1) Roman Zippel's new kernel configuration system.
> Announce: http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6898.html
> Code: http://www.xs4all.nl/~zippel/lc/

I support merge, Linus seemed to support it with the caveat that he said
he didn't personally see much discussion...

> 2) Ted Tso's new ext2/ext3 code with extended attributes and access control
> lists.
> Announce: http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6787.html
> Code: bk://extfs.bkbits.net/extfs-2.5-update
> http://thunk.org/tytso/linux/extfs-2.5

No comment other than I notice tytso's patches got dropped (at least
once/twice?). Maybe viro hasn't reviewed them?

IIRC viro had some objections to ACLs in general and how they might not
necessarily actually improve security -- but I did not see detailed
elaboration on this.

> 3) Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT) (Karim Yaghmour)
> Announce: http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/7016.html
> Patch:
> http://opersys.com/ftp/pub/LTT/ExtraPatches/patch-ltt-linux-2.5.44-vanilla-021019-2.2.bz2
> User tools: http://opersys.com/ftp/pub/LTT/TraceToolkit-0.9.6pre2.tgz

I dunno if this needs to be in the kernel...

> 4) Device mapper for Logical Volume Manager (LVM2) (LVM2 team) (in -ac tree)
> http://www.sistina.com/products_lvm.htm

Needs sysfs support or devmapperfs support... no need to add a bunch of
ioctls that will go away eventually.

> 5) VM large page support (Many people) (in -mm tree)
> http://lse.sourceforge.net/

Rob - this URL doesn't seen to have anything directly to do with large
page support.

Others-
Is this not already in the kernel? I still want to actually see someone
from Oracle actually say "I will use this" or "we find this useful".

[I cynically propose a sys_oracle and be done with it <g>]

> 6) Page table sharing (Daniel Phillips, Dave McCracken) (in -mm tree)
> http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=7855063&list=35
> (A newer version of which seems to be at:)
> http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6446.html

IMO 2.7.x item...

> 7) Dynamic Probes (dprobes team)
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux/projects/dprobes

why does this need to be the mainline kernel? this is another type of
thing that can live as a patch, IMO...

> 8) Zerocopy NFS (Hirokazu Takahashi)
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0204.1/0429.html

this is already merged, isn't it??

> 9) High resolution timers (George Anzinger, etc.)
> http://high-res-timers.sourceforge.net/

no comment, I've heard arguments that high-res timers would be useful,
but haven't read the patch myself so won't comment...

> 10) EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System) (EVMS team)
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/evms

Sounds like 2.7.x material, viro pointed out several problems ...

> 11) Linux Kernel Crash Dumps (Matt Robinson, LKCD team)
> Announce: http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/7060.html
> Code: http://lkcd.sourceforge.net/

I would personally _love_ to see this merged, but I think it's 2.7.x
material given the recent comments (unless they get fixed up)

> 12) Rewrite of the console layer (James Simmons)
> http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/

needs more review... but hasn't some of this stuff already made it in?
(or am I thinking about fbdev...?)

> 13) Kexec, luanch ELF format linux kernel from Linux (Eric W. Biederman)
> http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6584.html

Useful, but at the same time not many people will use this I think. It
may need to live as a patch for a while, if not for a long while...

> 14) USAGI IPv6.
>
> Yoshifuji Hideyaki points out that ipv6 is very important overseas
> (where some entire countries make do with a single class B ipv4
> address range). He says:
>

>>Well, our IPsec is ready, runs and is tested...
>>ftp://ftp.linux-ipv6.org/pub/usagi/patch/ipsec/

The USAGI guys have been slowly splitting up their patches and
submitting them... AFAIK DaveM is just waiting on more split-up IPv6
patches from them...

> 17) Kernel Hooks (IBM kernel team, contact: Richard J. Moore.)
> http://www-124.ibm.com/linux/projects/kernelhooks/

at first glance this seems to have serious issues with being a black
hole for overriding syscalls-type behavior...

> 19) In-kernel module loader (Rusty Russell.)
> http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6214.html

most likely 2.7.x material

> 20) Unlimited groups patch (Tim Hockin.)

I dunno if people want to take the hit in the mainline kernel... Maybe
this should be a CONFIG_xxx option, or live outside as a patch that
enterprise customers integrate

> 8) ReiserFS 4
>
> Hans Reiser said:
>

>>We will send Reiser4 out soon, probably around the 27th.

how mysterious... ;-)