Re: Yay, bug tracking! (was Re: Bug tracking in the run up from 2.5 to 2.6)

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 04:49:03 EST

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 02:43, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> > Count me in as a participant. One thing that would be nice is
> > a mailing list where the bugs (and the changes to bugs) get
> > mailed, so we can get updates by email.
>
> Bugzilla has email triggers, so this should be dead easy to do.
> Not sure if we need a list - bugzilla should be able to keep
> each people's "watching" criteria itself. If it turns out lists
> are easier, that should be easy to fix.
>
> > I'll help track down, fix and admin bugs.
>
> Thanks (to both of you ;-))!

>From some good and bad experiences in the desktop universe - you need
people who are willing to collate bugs, sort them, tidy duplicates,
identify the most common bug report etc. Without that it doesn't work.

Watching what Luis did to the gnome bug reporting has been an education
but I don't think he can be cloned trivially and I don't think we could
run off with him 8)

Bug reporting systems need maintenance or they collapse