Re: One for the Security Guru's

From: David Lang (david.lang@digitalinsight.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 12:55:04 EST

yes someone who has root can get the effect of modules by patching
/dev/kmem directly so eliminating module support does not eliminate all
risk.

it does however eliminate the use of the rootkits that use kernel modules.

you need to decide if the advantages of useing modules are worth it for
your situation.

what do you compile into a kernel to make it 1.9M compressed? I suspect
that you could trim that down to fit a floppy for a rescue disk. In
addition you may want to consider making your rescue disk be a CDROM so
that you can not only fit a larger boot image, but you can also fit more
untilities to help you work on the system.

also there are a couple ways to make a CD bootable.

One way is to use the floppy image (I think it's called El Torito or
something like that)

In addition I have created bootable CD's with lilo and ext2 partitions. If
it's an IDE CDROM you can setup a CD to treat it like a read-only IDE
drive (or you used to be able to anyway, I haven't checked it since 2.2
days)

David Lang