Re: One for the Security Guru's

From: Hank Leininger (linux-kernel@progressive-comp.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 16:49:29 EST

On 2002-10-23, "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net> wrote:

> The consultants aparantly told the company admins that kernel modules
> were a massive security hole and extremely easy targets for root kits.

Massive? Of course not. Easy target for root kits, sure, but only if
they've already been owned, first. Under normal circumstances (there
have been bugs in the past; iirc in kerneld for instance which let a user
trick the system into loading an arbitrary file as a module) one can't
load modules until one's already root, so the system would have had to be
compromised already. Trojaning the kernel is the best place for a
rootkit to live; why bother replacing individual tools (and hoping you
got them all, and that there's no static-linked integrity checker
somewhere) when you can just modify opendir(2), even read(2), etc to lie
for you?

4-5 years ago I would have (and did) recommend staying away from modular
kernels for this reason. But binary-patching a running non-modular
kernel has been well explored and is well-known; it's really no harder to
trojan a non-modular kernel than a modular one. Assuming you have not
taken steps to disallow raw io, /dev/kmem access, etc. If you are
willing/able to do that, then you can just insmod all necessary modules,
and then another one which disables further module-loading, drop the
necessary capabilities systemwide, etc. So again, modular/nonmodular
kernel doesn't matter much.

--
Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>