Re: 2.5.44-ac2: stack overflow in acpi_initialize_objects

From: David C. Hansen (haveblue@us.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 11:56:59 EST

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 07:20, Eric Buddington wrote:
> 2.5.44-ac2 compiled for Athlon with gcc-3.2 fails to boot with a
> really exciting stack overflow that dumps hordes of stack trace on the
> screen. I'm too lazy to write it all down, but the last line before
> 'init' refers to acpi_initialize_objects.
>
> I can write down more of it if needed.

Does it panic, or just print out a lot of the traces?

If it panics, then you were able to chew through 7.5K of stack while it
warned during the last 3.5k. Could you give us an idea of what was
being called? Something like "a bunch of ACPI routines" or "the same
function a bunch of times" would be very helpful. For right now, just
turn the CONFIG_X86_STACK_CHECK config option off.

--
Dave Hansen
haveblue@us.ibm.com