VIA EPIA problem

From: Serge (sergeyssv@mail.ru)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 10:00:02 EST

Mainboard VIA EPIA mini-ITX with VIA C3 800 Mhz or 500 Mhz

I faced with strange problem connected to this mainboard.

Kernel crashed when attempt to configrue net interface.

I tried to make linux terminal based on this mainboard.
I use diet-pc project as base for this approach - diet-pc.sourceforge.net.
Kernel crashed when 'pump' tried to configure eth0 via dhcp.
Kernel also crashed when it tried to configure eth0 via dhcp ( CONFIG_IP_PNP &
CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP ).

This problem occured _very_ rarely. ( about 1 time of 12-20 start/reboots of
computer)
Driver used : via-rhine.
I also tried driver from VIA (linuxfet.c) . Result is same.
I tried various 2.2 - 2.4 kernels ( including last pre11 patch ).
And when net interface configured it works fine.
I tried 4(!) mainboards.

The problem disappeared when I disabled on board LAN
and install Realtek 8139C NIC.

So I think that problem in driver. Am I right ?

Can somebody help me or comment this problem?

Regards,
        Serge.