Re: PATCH: Support PCI device sorting (Re: PCI device order problem)

From: H. J. Lu (hjl@lucon.org)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 16:27:04 EST

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 05:12:51PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Well, WRT your implementation, the function you add is dead code if your
> new config variable is not set, which is not desireable at all.

I am not sure if I understand what you were trying to say. If
CONFIG_PCI_SORT_BY_BUS_SLOT_FUNC is not set, you should be able to
pass "pci=bussort" to kernel to sort the PCI device by bus, slot and
function. Did I miss something?

> WRT the overall idea, I would prefer to see what Linus and Martin Mares
> (and Ivan K) thought about it, before merging it. The x86 PCI code is
> very touchy, and your patch has the potential to change driver probe
> order for little gain.

The whole purpose of my patch is to change PCI driver probe order in
such a way that is BIOS independent.

H.J.