Re: Switching from IOCTLs to a RAMFS

From: Peter Chubb (peter@chubb.wattle.id.au)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 17:58:00 EST

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> writes:

Jeff> Like I touched on in IRC, there is room for both sysfs and per-driver
Jeff> filesystems.

Jeff> I think just about everyone agrees that ioctls are a bad idea and a huge
Jeff> maintenance annoyance.

I note that the P1003.26 ballot has just been announced...

  Title: P1003.26: Information Technology -- Portable Operating
  System Interface (POSIX) -- Part 26: Device Control
  Application Program Interface (API) [C Language]

  Scope: This work will define an application program interface to
  device drivers. The interface will be modeled on the
  traditional ioctl() function, but will have enhancements
  designed to address issues such as "type safety" and
  reentrancy.

It may be worth looking at what the draft standard says before
committing to yet another interface specification.

Peter C