Re: Abbott and Costello meet Crunch Time -- Penultimate 2.5 merge candidate list.

From: Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 03:22:17 EST

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 2:40, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> untar - cpio is better.

CPIO is commonly used and supported by NO ONE. (rpm, whoppee)
Kernels even come tar'ed. KISS....

> initrd - 99% moved out of the kernel

Great...you just killed the high level embedded linux market, and
the ability to play boot games from GRUB. (Network, etc)
Initrd is a good **OPTION* to have to fall back on...

> do_mounts - moved out of the kernel completely

And he's willing to completely purge initrd and do_mounts NOW???

> initramfs - should be ready for Linus in the next day or so.

Fire away with the 100K+ bloated POS. I'm backwards compatible,
could easily add 'linked kernel image' support, and only increase
the current code by 20K.

> None of that junk -- and a whole lot more -- needs to be in the kernel
> at all.

Do you have any serious sysadmin, clustering, or emebedded system
IMPLEMENTATION experience?

Dave

--
The time is now 22:48 (Totalitarian)  -  http://www.ccops.org/