Re: Abbott and Costello meet Crunch Time -- Penultimate 2.5 merge candidate list.

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 05:24:34 EST

Dave Cinege wrote:

>On Wednesday 30 October 2002 5:05, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>

>>Dave Cinege wrote:
>>

>>>#2 My main bitch at jeff was he said if initramfs goes in
>>>initrd comes out. initrd shodul not come out.
>>>

>>What part of "kernel's behavior is 100% unchanged" did you not understand?
>>

>You said this where?

Exact quote: "The kernel's behavior to the end user is 100% unchanged."

"To:" header: dcinege@psychosis.com

>You DID Say:
>
>On Wednesday 30 October 2002 2:40, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>

>>untar - cpio is better.
>>initrd - 99% moved out of the kernel
>>do_mounts - moved out of the kernel completely
>>initramfs - should be ready for Linus in the next day or so.
>>
>>None of that junk -- and a whole lot more -- needs to be in the kernel
>>at all.
>>

>Excuse me if I take this to mean something different then:
>"kernel's behavior is 100% unchanged"

You appear to be unaware of early userspace. Moving code out of the
kernel does _not_ mean eliminating that code completely. I was hoping
it was obvious that it is impossible to eliminate the tasks that
do_mounts.c performs -- otherwise a Linux system would never have a root
filesystem mounted.

Being unaware of early userspace implies that you are not familiar with
initramfs.
Which implies you wish you merge your own code in place of something you
do not understand.

    Jeff