Re: Htree ate my hard drive, was: post-halloween 0.2

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@clusterfs.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 03:07:17 EST

On Oct 31, 2002 07:27 +0100, Duncan Sands wrote:
> > EXT3 Htree support.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > The ext3 filesystem has gained indexed directory support, which offers
> > considerable performance gains when used on filesystems with large
> > directories. In order to use the htree feature, you need at least version
> > 1.29 of e2fsprogs. Existing filesystems can be converted using the command
> > "tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hdXXX" The latest e2fsprogs can be found at
> > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs
>
> I ran this (tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hdXXX).
>
> After a bit of switching back and forth between 2.4.19 and 2.5.44,
> fsck was run while booting 2.4.19 (the usual check because of >30
> mounts). There was a message about optimizing directories. Booting
> continued but (big surprise) X refused to run. It turned out that some
> device files had vanished. Very strange. On rebooting, fsck found a
> gazillion bad inodes. They all turned out to be from the 2.5.44 tree -
> poetic justice I suppose! But this did not suffice. Rebooting, I got
> "optimizing directories" again. Next fsck showed up more dud inodes.
> After a few cycles of this, I ran
>
> tune2fs -O ^dir_index /dev/hdXXX
>
> to remove htree support. No problems since then.
>
> tune2fs 1.30-WIP (30-Sep-2002)

I wonder if there is still a bug in the e2fsck code for re-hashing
directories? It shouldn't be possible to have e2fsck complete and
there still be an error in the filesystem (ok, sometimes it happens,
but in those cases it spews a lot of warnings about the filesystem
not being fixed yet and to run manually).

What else is strange (at least to me) is e2fsck "optimizing directories"
on a reboot. My understanding at least is that this would be done only
when explicitly asked for, otherwise it might slow down booting a lot,
and as you can see it adds to the possibility of corrupting the fs when
e2fsck should only be fixing it.

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger