Re: Where's the documentation for Kconfig?

From: Roman Zippel (zippel@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 09:43:26 EST

Hi,

http://www.xs4all.nl/~zippel/lc/

> Some of
> the Kconfig files refer to "the Configure script" -- what Configure
> script? Some of them refer to Documentation/kbuild/config-language.txt
> -- which describes the old one. Most don't tell you where to find
> the description.

The comments are still the same as before and need to be corrected
manually.

> What's the difference between `help' and `---help---'?

None. Actually you can insert lots of '---' as separators almost anywhere
you want. The converter used ---help--- for large help texts to separate
them a bit better from the other options.

> What's the new idiom for define_bool?

Here a small howto for CML1 users.

cml1:
bool/tristate/int/... /prompt/ /symbol/ /word/

kconfig:
config /symbol/
        bool /prompt/
        default /word/

(bool/tristate have now defaults as well.)

cml1:
define_bool /symbol/ /word/

kconfig:
config /symbol/
        bool
        default /word/

cml1:
dep_bool /prompt/ /symbol/ /dep/ ...

kconfig:
config /symbol/
        bool /prompt/
        depends on /dep/=y && ...

cml1:
dep_mbool /prompt/ /symbol/ /dep/ ...
dep_int...

kconfig:
config /symbol/
        bool /prompt/
        depends on /dep/ && ...

cml1:
choice /prompt/ /word/ /word/

kconfig:
choice
        prompt /prompt/
        default /symbol/

config

endchoice

Especially the choice statement became much more powerful. Multiple
defaults are possible, every choice value can have further dependencies
and it can be tristate.

Dependencies are very close to the old behaviour with only some small
differences, e.g. '-a'/'-o' are simply '&&'/'||', "CONFIG_FOO"="y" becomes
FOO=y and only FOO has the same meaning as in dep_tristate. Important
here is that the undefined state is gone and kconfig will soon start
emit warnings for undefined symbols used in expressions.

bye, Roman