Re: CONFIG_TINY

From: Mark Mielke (mark@mark.mielke.cc)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 12:12:40 EST

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:04:20AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:51:13AM -0500, Mark Mielke wrote:
> > Or specified more clearly: If the compiler optimization flag is
> > configurable, choosing CONFIG_TINY should default the optimization flag
> > to -Os before it defaults the optimization flag to -O2.
> You're still missing the point of flexibility remark. Changing the
> optimization level has nothing to do with CONFIG_TINY, and is a
> generally useful option, and should be done seperate from CONFIG_TINY.
> In fact people seem to be getting the wrong idea about CONFIG_TINY. We

Please read it again... even if the optimization flag was
configurable, choosing CONFIG_TINY should *default* the optimization
flag to -Os before it defaults the optimization flag to -O2.

In the case where CONFIG_TINY is an option on its own, it means using -Os
instead of -O2. In the case where CONFIG_TINY is a template *not an option*,
the configurable "optimization flag" gets initialized to -Os. You could
still override -Os to be -O2 if you wanted to, or if CONFIG_TINY was not
specified, you could still override -O2 to be -Os... the default is -Os for
CONFIG_TINY.

K... I don't think this needs any more time.

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/