Re: bare pci configuration access functions ?

From: Greg KH (greg@kroah.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 16:23:49 EST

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:07:08PM -0800, Grover, Andrew wrote:
> > From: Lee, Jung-Ik [mailto:jung-ik.lee@intel.com]
> > Some kernel drivers/components such as hotplug
> > pci/io-node drivers,
> > ACPI driver, some console drivers, etc **need bare pci
> > configuration space
> > access** before either pci driver is initialized or struct pci_dev is
> > constructed.
> >
> > ACPI needs this for ACPI/PCI population, hotplug pci driver
> > for populating
> > hot-added pci hierarchy. As more drivers are cross ported
> > over to wider
> > architectures, this would become wider need. Help me if
> > others need this
> > too.
>
> When the PCI Config stuff got revamped a few months ago, Greg KH, myself,
> and some other people discussed this, and the conclusion seemed to be that
> it was less ugly to make the code that needs bare PCI config access use fake
> structs, than to have the bare functions exposed. Greg, am I remembering
> correctly?

No. Well, I don't think so anyway. In 2.5 we now have a pci_bus_read_*
and pci_bus_write_* functions, which the pci hotplug drivers use, as
they at least know the bus on which the devices they are looking for are
on. I also had to convert over some ACPI code that was using the
pci_read_config functions to get everything to work properly, but I
don't seem to be able to find that code in the latest 2.5 tree, so I
guess you don't need to do that anymore?

(For the LKML readers, this is a spill-over from the pci hotplug and
ia64 mailing lists, where on 2.4 we now have a problem with pci hotplug
drivers as ia64 uses a pci "segment" and the existing pci_*_nodev
functions in the pci hotplug core don't properly set up this field. See
the archives for either of those lists for more info.)

thanks,

greg k-h