Re: [lkcd-devel] Re: What's left over.

From: Werner Almesberger (wa@almesberger.net)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 18:39:35 EST

Richard J Moore wrote:
> and so do many people. In fact netdump, mcode and lkcd are all
> complementary parts of the same need.

It's the "complementary" that worries me. Once you have mcore, what
good are direct dumps to the network or the disk for ? With mcore,
the whole issue of accessing stable storage is eliminated.

I don't know if the approach of having multiple quasi-equivalent
means of storing a dump is something that Linus dislikes about
LKCD, but I think it might be worth exploring if LKCD's chance of
acceptance could be improved by focusing on a single but general
mechanism.

I think it would be a pity if we ended up not having crash dumps
in 2.6 only because they're over-featured ...

- Werner