Re: bare pci configuration access functions ?

From: KOCHI, Takayoshi (t-kouchi@mvf.biglobe.ne.jp)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 19:23:56 EST

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:54:57 -0800
Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> > That's the way ACPI driver designers took and Linux can benefit
> > from other OS's feedback in OS-independent part.
>
> Can I ask if any of the development for other OSs has actually helped
> Linux development? I'm just curious.

FreeBSD's acpi project is a good example.
http://www.jp.freebsd.org/acpi/index.html
(though this page doesn't seem to reflect recent status)

They share the same code base (OS-independent part) as Linux
and troubles FreeBSD had are troubles Linux will have or vice versa.

Its mailing-list is based in Japan but most discussions
are in English and some intel developers are also in the list.

AFAIK the aic7xxx driver has similar structure.

Thanks,

--
KOCHI, Takayoshi <t-kouchi@cq.jp.nec.com/t-kouchi@mvf.biglobe.ne.jp>