Re: The Ext3sj Filesystem

From: Matthew J. Fanto (mattf@mattjf.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 00:14:10 EST

On Thursday 31 October 2002 11:41 pm, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> First of all, have you considered trying to do this as a stacking
> filesystem?

Yes, I spoke to Christoph Hellwig the other day and he suggested the same
thing. I will be taking a look at a stacking filesystem tonight/tomorrow.

> Secondly, the really critical question is key management. What
> happens if the user gets the key wrong? Will he/she know? Or will
> they just get garbage if the read from the file, and be able to trash
> the file if they write to the file with the incorrect key? Using some
> kind of key-ID and some way of validating that the key is correct
> before the user does start accessing files would probably be a really
> good idea.

It wouldn't be very hard to alert the user of an incorrect key using a message
digest (SHA1). So far, I haven't implemented this feature, but I will if
enough people want it.

> Finally, if you do want to allocate some additional fields in the ext2
> inode, superblock, etc., please coordinate with me, so we can avoid
> conflicts as much as possible. Thanks!!

Yes, there will be a need for additional fields specifying things such as the
algorithm to use.