Re: What's left over.

From: Patrick Finnegan (pat@purdueriots.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 10:27:40 EST

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>
> > No, vendor == people who sold or gave us the softare. Right now, Linus is
> > acting like he's a big evil corporation that won't add the change no
> > matter what we say:
>
> ... to his tree. Geez, why could that be? Maybe because you don't have
> any rights to decide what patches does anybody else apply to their trees?
>
> It's not a fscking public service. Linus has full control over his
> tree. You have equally full control over your tree. Linus can't
> tell you what patches to apply in your tree. You can't tell Linus
> what patches he should apply to his.
>
> "I'm not satisfied with this tree, I'll try that one" is perfectly OK.
> "I'm not satisfied with either, so bend the fsck over and change your
> tree the way I want" is _NOT_.

Yes, I recognise it's his right. But what bothers me is that he says "I
want users to say they want it" and when user say they want it hey says
"It's a vendor thing, no users want it."

Linus, if you say you're going to listen, please try and listen. This is
annoying and dissatisfying to all of us when you say you'll listen and you
blatantly ignore people. Your tree is your tree, for now it's going to be
patching our own kernel, and then possibly moving to another vendor who
listens to their users.

Pat

--
Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS