Re: What's left over.

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 10:32:33 EST

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

[SNIPPED...]
> You know, pissing off core developers of projects that have been shown to
> be (1) desired (2) potentially useful in Linux, even as an aid to other
> Linux subsystem developers and (3) emperically show to be useful for other
> Free *nixes such as the BSDs, is not what I would be doing as a project
> maintainer. Of course, I'm not Linus...
>
> Pat

Maybe somebody should at least say what it is that is:
"(1) desired (2) potentially useful in Linux, even as an aid to
other..."

It might be that you guys are so close to the project that you
lose sight of the fact that others, including Linus, might not
understand how important it is. It is quite possible that somebody
has developed a lot of excellent code that has absolutely no use
to anybody except a small group of intellectuals who use the
kernel to write poetry. In that case, regardless of how excellent
it is, it really should not be in the standard kernel. OTH, it
might be useful to the whole world, but nobody has bothered to
explain how this may be so.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
   Bush : The Fourth Reich of America