Re: What's left over.

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 10:35:09 EST

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 03:25:01PM +0000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> (copy-in and copy-out, and that's so theoretical that it's not even
> funny - I'd be surprised if RL throughput copying back and forth over a
> PCI bus is more than 25-30MB/s), I suspect that you can do most crypto
> faster on the CPU directly these days.

I'd be amazed of current CPUs would be able to do asymmetric encryption at
anywhere within an order of magnitude of those rates.

Symmetric encryption is something else. This is the reason many encryption
products (ie, pgp) only use asymmetric encryption for encrypting a symmetric
session key, and not encrypting the entire message.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services