Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Squashfs released (a highly compressed filesystem)

From: Phillip Lougher (phillip@lougher.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 03:57:19 EST

Rob Landley wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 October 2002 23:56, Phillip Lougher wrote:
>
>>Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> >
>> > squashfs or mksquashfs?
>>
>>mksquashfs...
>>
>> > A r/w compressed filesystem would be darned useful too :)
>> >
>> > Jeff
>>
>>A r/w compressed filesystem may be my next project... As a couple of
>>people have mentioned there are compressed r/w filesystems already
>>out there.
>>
>>As you'll know, there are always tradeoffs with filesystem design,
>>it is very difficult to get as good compression with a r/w fs
>>than with a read only filesystem. I wanted to get maximum
>>compression, and quite a few of the techniques I use rely on
>>its read-only nature.
>

> A compressed filesystem with dynamically updated random-access files will
> fragment the heck out of itself darn fast. (Seek into the middle of a file
> somewhere, write a block, seek somewhere else, write another block, repeat
> 1000 times... Keep in mind that the new compressed block of data will almost
> certainly not be the same size as the old one... It's a mess.)
>
> My potential usage is: I've got a little linux distribution I put together
> called "firmware linux", which builds from source and outputs a zisofs image
> that gets loopback mounted as the root filesystem. (A very alpha version
> could be sucked off of http://216.143.22.141/firmware/fwl-0.8.tar, edit
> "build.sh" to specify the output directory, and then run it. The point is,
> the whole OS and all applications can be upgraded as one file. No package
> management, it's basically a big firmware image.)
>
> The reason I used a zisofs instead of cramfs is that cramfs has a LOT of
> problems with big filesystems. (The finished root partition, with apache and
> samba and ntop and python and rsync and openssh and everything, is currently
> around 100 megs. Yeah, I can trim that down by quite a bit if I get time,
> I'm currently compilling and developing it under itself so I have gcc in
> there and the full set of man pages and everything...)
>
> Mkcramfs seems to barf at somewhere around 16 megs, which is really limiting.
> AND it seems to try to open every file simultaneously (hardlink detection?)
> so it runs out of file handles. (Again, that could be adjusted under /proc
> somewhere, but isn't worth it.)
>
> So it seems that the thing to test this against isn't cramfs, but zisofs.
> Have you looked at that?
>
> I'll take a look myself and get back to you...
>
> Rob

Hi,

I looked at both cramfs and ziosfs when writing squashfs. Zisofs is a
nice fs, but tends to have greater overhead due to the isofs filesystem.
  On tests I've found zisofs images to be between 5% (a single directory
with lots of small binaries) and 61% (lots of nested directories) bigger
than the squashfs filesystem.

I believe that squashfs is useful for what you're doing. I'm a bit
hesitant in saying that, because I'd rather people downloaded it and
made up their own minds :-)

Thank you for trying it out, and I hope you like it. I'll obviously be
interested in your thoughts on it.

Phillip