Re: Patch: 2.5.45 PCI Fixups for PCI HotPlug

From: Greg KH (greg@kroah.com)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 02:58:06 EST

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 04:56:58PM -0800, Lee, Jung-Ik wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> The following patch changes function scopes only but fixes kernel dump on
> Hot-Add of PCI bridge cards.

Applied, thanks.

Hm, in looking at this, I know the majority of people who want
CONFIG_HOTPLUG probably do not run with CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG as the
hardware's still quite rare. To force those people to keep around all
of the PCI quirks functions and tables after init happens, is a bit
cruel. I wonder if it's time to start having different subsystems
modify __devinit depending on their config variables.

Does this sound like a good idea? If so, I can probably knock up
something for the PCI code pretty easily (yes, I'll keep in mind CardBus
stuff, not all hotplug pci is on servers...)

__pci_devinit anyone? :)

thanks,

greg k-h