Re: Petition against kernel configuration options madness...

From: Werner Almesberger (wa@almesberger.net)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 19:18:15 EST

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> The config gets a version-Tag.

This would only be helpful if you also had a description of what the
user is expected to change. (And once you have this, you might as
well automate the process a little more, as I've just described in
another posting.)

Just telling the user that there might be problems isn't very helpful,
in particular since most such version conflicts would be false alarms,
e.g. name changes of some obscure controller I don't have anyway. I
think most people are aware of the fact that "make oldconfig" may
produce nonsense, but it's still annoying if it does.

Another easy extension to consider: after "make oldconfig", print
the options that were found in .config, but which don't exist anymore.
I've actually proposed this already two years ago, see also
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=97298980521513&w=2

- Werner