Re: [ANNOUNCE] Open POSIX Test Suite

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 17:58:31 EST

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 02:48:47PM -0800, Geoff Gustafson wrote:
> I would like to announce a new project to develop and/or assemble a GPL test
> suite for POSIX APIs.

Great idea. We can help in the following way: BitKeeper has an extremely
simple test harness used for regressions. It's well thought out in that
it is trivial to write simple tests and run them in isolation or to
run the whole suite. If you want the harness, we'll give it to you
under whatever license you want, I assume GPL, but we don't care.

You can see what the tests look like in BK, if you have it installed, we
ship all the tests, they are in `bk bin`/t

A simple test might be

        #!/bin/sh

        # test that touch creates a file
        touch foo
        test -f foo || {
                echo failed to create foo
                exit 1
        }

The harness takes care of putting you in a clean isolated environment.

--
---