Re: [Ext2-devel] Re: Htree ate my hard drive, was: post-halloween 0.2

From: Udo A. Steinberg (us15@os.inf.tu-dresden.de)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 18:22:56 EST

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:42:13 +0000 Stephen C. Tweedie (SCT) wrote:

SCT> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:07:17AM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
SCT> > I wonder if there is still a bug in the e2fsck code for re-hashing
SCT> > directories?
SCT>
SCT> Possibly, but I'm more worried about why the fsck did a directory
SCT> optimise on reboot, especially on the root filesystem (where /dev is
SCT> usually stored). Doing major fs surgery on a mounted, readonly
SCT> filesystem is sort-of safe, but only if you reboot afterwards.
SCT> Continuing and remounting read-write can cause all sorts of damage as
SCT> the cached fs data no longer matches what's on disk.

Just a "me too". I've used htree with 2.5.44 and 2.4.20rc1. The next
fs check on the root filesystem founds corruption in /dev. After repairing
the damage and recreating the lost devices the machine ran ok for 2 days.
Then I had some ext3-fs errors and the partition got remounted read-only.
The following fsck revealed two inodes sharing the same block. I don't
have any logs of that incident anymore though :/

I'm running Slackware 9.0-beta and e2fsprogs-1.30-WIP.

Regards,
-Udo.